Instrumentation of the Hudson Valley Symphonic Wind Ensemble follows the original prescription of Frederick Fennell for the Eastman Wind Ensemble in 1952, which calls for a specific number of players per part. Compared to the larger Symphonic Band, this unique balance provides greater clarity, but places additional responsibility on each player. Therefore, smooth operation of a fine Symphonic Wind Ensemble as a 'community group' means having a roster of both regular and part-time players to ensure full instrumentation at every rehearsal.
The very instrumentation that determines music rewards also requires complete instrumentation and
members capable of consistent attendance to achieve it. With this in mind, we are always seeking members
for alternate/substitute roles and regular players when vacancies exist.
VACANCIES (as of November 14, 2023)
Who we'd like to have in the group
In order to achieve the above goals, the following attributes are desired in players:
1. Enthusiasm for the wonderful literature of the symphonic band and wind ensemble
2. A musical, secure and reasonably high level of classical solo performance
3. An ability and desire to blend with and share in the total ensemble sound
4. An understanding of the interdependency of players in a musical ensemble of this type
5. Willingness to carry out the individual responsibilities of music preparation and regular
attendance in order to insure a positive experience for all colleagues at every meeting
HOW TO JOIN
- Please provide us with the below personal information as soon as possible -
We'll call you to arrange for a time to meet and briefly demonstrate your playing attributes.
The choice of music (styles, tempos, ranges, etc.) is up to you. There is no need to perform a complete work.
In addition to a reasonably secure performance level, an enthusiasm for symphonic band music is desired and essential. It is a primary goal of the organization to provide an environment in which members can both play and share all aspects of band experience.
For questions or additonal information please call us at 914-686-1818